Isaiah 55:8-9

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

Thursday, April 7, 2011

John 14:27-28

John 14:27-28 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

Can this italicized part of the scripture pertain to those in general who die? Are we to show love by rejoicing in their death?
Rejoice is defined as: to give joy to; gladden and to feel great joy or delight
Perhaps the key is the last part of the scripture, it doesn't say death... it says, "I go unto the Father."
Can I rejoice that my son has returned to Heavenly Father?

Can I be completely at peace with his death and yet not really want to rejoice? Rejoice seems unlikely when one is as selfish as myself.

I have peace. I have comfort. I love Jesus. I love my son. I don't want to rejoice though. And it's not because I'm not grateful. I'm so grateful God has been there for me in my time of need. I couldn't have done it any other way. Rejoice just seems like a strong word. "Be content" or "Not sorrow too much" seems to be the stage I'm at. I wonder when I'll get to the point where I can actually embrace Christ's words and "rejoice".

No comments: