Isaiah 55:8-9

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Consider the Lilies

[rivera1.jpg]
El Vendedor de Alcatraces By Diego Rivera
(Image courtesy creative commons license http://www.diego-rivera-foundation.org/)


D&C 84: 81-84 "Therefore, take ye no thought for the morrow, for what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, or wherewithal ye shall be clothed. For, consider the lilies of the field, how they grow, they toil not, neither do they spin; and the kingdoms of the world, in all their glory, are not arrayed like one of these. For your Father, who is in heaven, knoweth that you have need of all these things. Therefore, let the morrow take thought for the things of itself."

I loved this picture the moment I saw it a few years ago.Originally, Diego Rivera meant it as a more political piece symbolic of the burdens of the Mexican people. However, art is art. I appreciate it in a different sense. I see a woman with a tremendous load, yet it is a beautiful load. And she is not alone, she is never alone. Deity is behind her, helping her bear the load and lifting it. She has fallen to her knees and it is a good thing. I look at this picture everyday and am inspired.

1 comment:

Julie said...

This is beautiful! I've never seen this painting before. It's a new favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing!